New Year, New You: Make horse riding your New Year’s resolution!
It’s that time of the year again…time to make a long list of resolutions, only to have broken all of them within the first 2 weeks of January. This year, why not set yourself an achievable goal…like taking up horse riding, for instance? It’s fun, it’s healthy and it would be an ideal way to start 2015!
The festive aftermath
Let’s face it – Christmas takes its toll on all of us. By the end of the week, we’re filled with too much turkey and booze, unable to move from the couch whilst Home Alone plays in front of our glazed eyes for the umpteenth time. Not very merry. At moments like these, it may seem hard to motivate yourself. You have great intentions to start off the New Year with getting fit, yet the thought of turning into a gym bunny is enough to send you into hibernation until next December’s festivities. Here at Coolmine Equestrian Centre, we have the ultimate solution to get fit whilst having fun at the same time – by ditching the gym and getting back in the saddle!
Shake off the Christmas cobwebs and avoid the January blues by giving horse riding a go. Not sure of its benefits? Well, you’re in luck – we’ve compiled a handy list of 5 reasons why an equestrian resolution is a great idea, straight from the horse’s mouth. You’re welcome…
The benefits of horse riding:
1) Get fit: Horse riding is actually very physically challenging. You’ll feel pain in muscles that you didn’t even know existed – especially after the festive season, when the only exercise you may have done was to lift the remote control. Horse riding is great for toning and strengthening the muscles of the core, bum, legs and arms. It provides a great cardiovascular workout and is far more enjoyable than puffing away on the treadmill; it even burns twice the amount of calories!
2) Get calm: In addition to the physical benefits of horse riding, it is an ideal way to manage and reduce stress. A hard week at the office fades away in an instant when you’re out in the fresh air over the weekend, learning a skill that is both exciting and good for you, in the beautiful and historical surroundings of the Irish countryside. The sense of freedom you’ll get is second to none and you’ll dismount with a sense of absolute joy. The prospect of going outside may not be too attractive in the cold days of January but after your first lesson, you’ll be chomping at the bit to get outdoors! Ireland has long been known as ‘The Land of the Horse’ and, if you haven’t been horse riding before, then our fair isle is an ideal place to start. With its lush green countryside, its invigorating fresh air and its multitude of stables across the country, Ireland is an equestrian dream.
3) Get in touch with your inner child: Horse riding is an activity that lots of us did when we were younger, and we loved it; yet somewhere along the way we lost that hunger for the exhilaration and adventure that only horse riding can bring. In short, we grew up. But why does horse riding have to be just a fond, childish memory? This New Year, revisit the sport you loved as a child – you won’t regret it. And, if you’re in any way nervous about your trip down memory lane, our capable instructors are on hand to ensure that you have a fantastic first lesson.
4) Get social: Sick of only seeing your friends across from you at a dinner table/propped beside you at the bar/sitting beside you at the cinema? Then why not do something different with your weekends – like an afternoon of horse riding, perhaps?! Learning a new skill is always good for bonding and horse riding is an experience like no other. So get the gang together and go that extra mile (or ‘furlong’), by making a booking with us.
5) Get it cheap: If the above reasons haven’t convinced you that horse riding is A Good Idea, then how about this – it’s never been cheaper! We’re offering great deals on our lessons, so don’t be a ‘neigh’-sayer – there’s no better time to make horse riding top of the list of your resolutions.
And there you have it – 5 reasons why horse riding should be the ‘mane’ attraction of your New Year. However, the list of benefits is endless. In addition to the above, horse riding improves confidence, allows you to build a relationship of trust with your horse and, for the co-ordinately challenged, can even improve your balance.
So this year, get back on the horse…you’ll be looking hot to trot in no time!